Saturday, January 8, 2011

Teaching Troubles

I know why some instructors have really strict standards for submitting work. I’m not persuaded to join their ranks, but I really get it.

At the end of the term, two of my students came up to me and asked for extensions on the final paper. The first to ask essentially said “I had two other projects, and just didn’t have time to put into yours what I should have.” The second rode the coattails of the first, nodding and offering little of her own situation. Noting that both were generally good students, and should pass the class (given the quality of their work), I offered them a deal. They had until our next class meeting would have been to email me their completed work. They both accepted the deal. Student 1 just left (after thanking me), and Student 2 handed in her draft “Just in case” along with a SASE for me to return the work to her with some comments and a grade.

Fast forward a few days. The semester ended on a high note, and I did, indeed, receive a full draft from Student 2. (Student 1 submitted nothing. At all.) I responded, acknowledging I’d gotten the draft, and that I’d print off a copy to grade and return to her.

Move forward a couple more days. In a frenzy of grading, I found the partial draft and graded it with a heavy heart. “But wait,” you may say, “You got her complete draft!”

Received, yes. Graded, no.

I don’t know if I never printed it, if the printed copy never got to the table for grading, or what happened. All I know is that she did pass, despite a poor showing on the final paper, and I moved forward, enjoying Christmas with the knowledge that my grades were done, and I’d only have to tell the grouchy students why they failed... and that not until the spring term begins.

Until today. When I checked my email today, I had two letters about this. First arrived some email from Student 2 pointing out that she got the paper back, but I graded the wrong draft, and an hour later came some email from our fabulous department secretary saying that Student 2 and her mother had called the department. Seems to me that they’re circling the wagons for a fight... when the error was entirely mine, something to which I admitted in responding to both Student 2 and Fabulous Secretary. I'll grade the full draft tomorrow, and work out a grade change on Monday.

Now – having admitted it’s my fault, I can see why other instructors accept no late work, especially at the end of the semester. I really do. But Student 2 really made an effort, and she showed great improvement and engagement with writing, and I couldn’t just ignore that. On the other hand, it’s making my life more difficult now, and I really don’t need the distraction. Would I do something differently, given the opportunity? Yes – I’d still offer the extension, but I’d be more careful to grade the right thing.

I’m sure there’s something here about my being a good, caring instructor, but right now, I just want to watch a horribly violent, scary movie so I can root for the monster disemboweling people. Anyone have anything to raise my spirits?

bleh.

No comments:

Post a Comment